Friday, September 18, 2009

Student Blogging: A New Way of Teaching

Blogging has brought writing into an entirely new arena. It used to be that aspiring writers wrote their hearts out with futile hopes of ever having their writing shared with a mass audience, a plethora of fans. These days, blogging has allowed anyone with a computer and the desire to become a published writer with instant access to a world of readers. As a high school English teacher, blogging has allowed me to inspire my students with an interest in writing that they never had before.
Last year, I got my feet wet and engaged my students in blogging for the first time. I knew that I wanted to incorporate blogging into the curriculum somehow, but to be honest, I was really winging it. I set up free classroom blog sites using 21classes.com. At the time, 21classes offered free student blog sites to teachers with a max amount of users of 50 students. Because I wanted all of my students to blog, I set up five free blog sites, one for each of my periods. I made sure beforehand that my school site would allow the students access to the website under their student logins on the school computers.
My plan was to have the students blog once a week. With this plan in mind, I booked the computer lab for all of the Wednesdays in the school year. Some teachers later complained, and on some occasions, I had to graciously relinquish the lab even though I was the one with the foresight to book in advance. After the first blogging day, the students were hooked. They would come in each day asking if we would be blogging, and I had to constantly remind them that we would only blog on Wednesdays. I found their enthusiasm rewarding. My thought was- at least they weren't complaining.
Getting the students signed up and ready to blog took an entire class period. I enabled the feature that allowed students to sign themselves up and allowed them the liberty to choose their usernames. I believed that this freedom to be anonymous in the eyes of their peers would encourage them to write without fear of their peers' judgment. However, this turned out to create more of a hardship for me. Grading their blogs became an absolute pain. I had to match their usernames with their real names in order to assign grades, and this was a tedious chore.
Another problem was that I allowed the students to create their own passwords. People might think that high school students are capable of remembering their usernames and passwords, especially in light of their addictions to MySpace. Yet, I found that my students were quite forgetful. From week to week I was bombarded with student requests for their passwords or usernames. I learned the hard way that allowing students too much liberty was a mistake. After a hundred requests for forgotten passwords, I started to require students to make their passwords their six digit birth dates and their usernames their last names with first initials.
One area that I didn't allow students freedom was in subject matter. I was afraid that they would not know what to write about or that they would write about topics that were inappropriate for the school setting. This was another mistake. Coming up with topics for the students to blog about created more work for me, and it also robbed the students of a chance to really understand what blogging was supposed to be about. Instead of allowing students to blog about topics that they may have been interested in writing about consistently, I chose a different blog topic for them each week. One week, I had the students Google the story about the young boy with cancer who was on the run from the police with his mother. He was trying to get away because he didn't want to receive chemotherapy. The students read the story and then blogged their responses. Most of the blog responses were the same which made grading the blogs a little boring for me. However, the students really enjoyed the topic. Another blog topic the students liked was when I had them research the internet on natural phenomena. They were required to post information about the phenomenon as well as a picture. The students felt that they were able to learn something new in a way that was not boring. At the end of the year, I surveyed the students, and most of them said their favorite thing about the year in English was being able to blog.
Knowing that blogging was a success with the students last year, I began this year with an intent to incorporate blogging in my class instruction this year as well. Only this time, I had a real plan. The first part of the plan was to assign blogging every other week versus every week. This was a good idea for two reasons: it would allow me more time in between blogs to post comments and to grade, and it would allow me more full day class weeks to work on other parts of the English curriculum. One problem the previous year was that it was hard to engage the students in reading stories and novels when the middle of the week was interrupted by blogging.
This time around I also knew how to limit my share of the work. The second week of school, I had the students come up with a bubble map brainstorming topics for their blogs. I had them select one broad topic that they would like to write about, and then they were required to narrow down that topic into nine subtopics. For example, if a student selected music as their broad topic, he/she might narrow that down into specific topics, such as genres of music, famous musicians, or emerging artists, to cover over the next nine blog sessions. Requiring the students to do this activity was a good idea. It made them plan ahead and to really focus their ideas. Another benefit in allowing the students to choose their own topics was that it provided an opportunity for the students to be exposed to a variety of topics. Instead of all of the students blogging about the same subject, each student offered his/her creativity towards creating a diverse selection for readers to view. And, one of the best things about the wide-ranging selection is that grading the blogs is actually fun for me.
There was one change this year that has benefited the student blogging experience that I can not take credit for. 21classes limited its free blog sites to ten users, so I was somewhat forced into purchasing the 21classes package deal that granted me one-hundred user accounts. This new change allowed me to combine my classes into two websites; my first, second and half of my third period share one website, and the other half of my third period shares another website with my other two classes. With more users sharing the websites, there is more variety and a chance for the students to share with readers they may not know. The students also like that they get to see what my other classes are posting. Even though I have to pay twenty dollars a month to maintain the websites, the joy my students have for blogging makes it all worth it.
With the new changes and the new plan, this year of student blogging is off to a great start. The student blogs are impressive and creative. I am really looking forward to seeing the students blossom into proficient writers and a unique new set of bloggers.

No comments:

Post a Comment