Monday, October 19, 2009

Letting Go

There comes a point in all of our lives when we have to let go of someone. It may be because the person has passed away or because the person has simply passed us on, but we all go through the painful experience of letting go.
I have had my share of the experience. Last year, I had to let go of my father. And while I don't think that I will ever completely let him go, I have moved past his death. Now, I am dealing with another letting go experience; I'm letting go of a dream.
Dreams of two people together can only come true if in reality the two actually stay together. Sometimes the dream of something is so cherished that the dreamer clings to the dream despite all signs of it not coming true in the horizon. I used to be that type of a dreamer; I thought of myself as an optimist. I believed in the power of love- until reality slapped me across the face and out of my daydream. Love isn't everything, and it can't save the world. Loving someone doesn't mean that they will love you back just as much or at all. Being willing to spend your life with someone doesn't make the rest of the world ready to agree with the union. And, even when you give it your all, love doesn't always work out. Sometimes, sometimes you just have to let go.
One of the times that you know you have to let go is when you've been let go. When someone has cut you lose and wants you out of his/her life, the only thing to be done is make a graceful exit. Yet, it's never quite that easy, especially when your dreams are involved. When you have made someone your dream of happiness and that someone has said that life with you is a nightmare, your life becomes a strange, unsettled universe where nothing makes sense or adds up right. How can you let go of something that means everything to you? How can you give up a dream that you've had forever? You just do.
They say that it takes 21 days to break a bad habit. If a person is a bad habit, maybe letting go of the person can be done in 21 days as well. Somehow I don't think so, but if you're in the habit of talking to someone or seeing them, then maybe after 21 days of not seeing the person, you'll let go of something.
I'm going to call this Day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment